Monday, February 16, 2009

A Week Full of Surprises!

First off, Phil kept a secret from me for almost 24 hours earlier this week...and it was a very good one!

Twenty years ago this fall, I was tapped for Delta Zeta Tau, a social service club at Lee (or sorority to non-Lee people). I didn't make it through induction - I quit because I was scared, and I have always regretted not finishing what I started. I am not naturally the most social person in the world, but once I get to know someone I will be your trusted friend for life. Being around Phil for the past 20 years has been such a huge blessing in that he has forced me to come out of my shell, so to speak. For that, and much more, I am so grateful. :0) Okay...so I guess that was a little tangent...

So back to my first surprise...Over the past few years I have developed some very close relationships with several of the students and young alumni in DZT. They are girls I will always consider as a huge part of my life. Tuesday of this week was moving along like any other day. I was waiting for Phil to finish up at work at the end of the day, and we finally packed up and went out the back door of the Admissions house. Before I knew it, there was a sea of red coming my way! I was asked to be an honorary member of Delta Zeta Tau. What a complete shock and honor. I cannot begin to tell you how much it means to me. My hope is to be able to pour into the lives of these girls and be a good example in every way possible.

The next surprise was extra special...Phil completely surprised me by planning a night away for Valentine's Day. Our world seems so busy with both of us working full-time, his doctoral program, and the kids' crazy schedules that we don't ever get a date night. So, he called his parents to watch the kids overnight. We made reservations at our favorite restaurant, P.F. Chang's, and stayed overnight in a very nice hotel in downtown Chattanooga. It was so wonderful to just relax and enjoy each other's company for 24-hours. :0)

I just love my husband, and am extremely impressed with all his secrets and surprises this week. There's never a dull moment! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment